The ABCs of Weight Loss
The ABCs of weight loss must start with the letter
Among my favorite “A’s” would have to be avocados.
Did you know, avocados are a fruit? Yep, and there are lots of compelling reasons to eat them, both for weight loss and overall health.
Best ways to eat avocados? Beyond guacamole, here are 5 ideas:
- Avocado Boats: Scoop out an avocado and fill it with my Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad.
- Sandwich spread: Use mashed avocado on sandwiches as a healthy alternative to mayonnaise.
- Green smoothies: Avocado imparts a rich, creaminess to your green smoothie that makes it taste decadent. Try cutting it into chunks, then freezing it for an icy-cold green drink!
Better burger: No surprise, adding sliced avocado enhances any burger. To make it even healthier, make it a lean turkey or bison burger!
- Top off your soup: Top your soup with some diced avocado and a dollop of plain, nonfat greek yogurt and upgraded your lunch to first class. Try it on my favorite Spicy Black Bean Soup!
Here are 10 reasons to eat them:
- Healthy fat: Avocados are mostly fat, but it’s monounsaturated “healthy” fat, which can lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Protein: At 4 grams per avocado they’re higher in protein than most fruits.
- Vitamins + minerals: Avocados are rich in vitamins B5, B6, B9, C, E and K. They have more potassium by weight than a banana, and add folic acid to your diet.
- Fiber: Each avocado contains half of the recommended daily dose (11g) of dietary fiber.
- Cancer prevention: Avocados are rich in phytochemicals, which studies show help prevent certain cancers.
- Promote healthy body weight: One study demonstrated that avocado consumption is associated with a nutrient-dense diet and lowers the risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Phytonutrient compounds (polyphenols and flavonoids) present in avocados reduce the risk of inflammatory and degenerative disorders.
- Healthy eyes: The presence of carotenoid lutein means avocados play a role in preventing age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Cure bad breath: Go ahead, have red onion in your sandwich! As long as you pair it with avocado, which is a natural breath freshener.
- Anti-aging properties: This one’s my favorite! Avocados are high in antioxidants, which boosts immunity and slows the aging process. You may have noticed it as an ingredient in a number of skin care products as it reportedly nourishes skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Avocados are a delicious and nutritious way to add healthy fat to your meals and snacks, even when you’re losing weight.
Only 25 letters to go; c’mon, we got this!