The ABCs of Weight Loss
The ABCs of weight loss must start with the letter
Among my favorite “A’s” would have to be avocados.
Best ways to eat avocados? Beyond guacamole, here are 5 ideas:
- Avocado Boats: Scoop out an avocado and fill it with my Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad.
- Sandwich spread: Use mashed avocado on sandwiches as a healthy alternative to mayonnaise.
- Green smoothies: Avocado imparts a rich, creaminess to your green smoothie that makes it taste decadent. Try cutting it into chunks, then freezing it for an icy-cold green drink!
Better burger: No surprise, adding sliced avocado enhances any burger. To make it even healthier, make it a lean turkey or bison burger!
- Top off your soup: Top your soup with some diced avocado and a dollop of plain, nonfat greek yogurt and upgraded your lunch to first class. Try it on my favorite Spicy Black Bean Soup!
Here are 10 reasons to eat them:
- Healthy fat: Avocados are mostly fat, but it’s monounsaturated “healthy” fat, which can lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Protein: At 4 grams per avocado they’re higher in protein than most fruits.
- Vitamins + minerals: Avocados are rich in vitamins B5, B6, B9, C, E and K. They have more potassium by weight than a banana, and add folic acid to your diet.
- Fiber: Each avocado contains half of the recommended daily dose (11g) of dietary fiber.
- Cancer prevention: Avocados are rich in phytochemicals, which studies show help prevent certain cancers.
- Promote healthy body weight: One study demonstrated that avocado consumption is associated with a nutrient-dense diet and lowers the risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Phytonutrient compounds (polyphenols and flavonoids) present in avocados reduce the risk of inflammatory and degenerative disorders.
- Healthy eyes: The presence of carotenoid lutein means avocados play a role in preventing age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Cure bad breath: Go ahead, have red onion in your sandwich! As long as you pair it with avocado, which is a natural breath freshener.
- Anti-aging properties: This one’s my favorite! Avocados are high in antioxidants, which boosts immunity and slows the aging process. You may have noticed it as an ingredient in a number of skin care products as it reportedly nourishes skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Avocados are a delicious and nutritious way to add healthy fat to your meals and snacks, even when you’re losing weight.
Only 25 letters to go; c’mon, we got this!