7 Ways to Clean Up Your Diet
Could it possibly be as easy as “7 Ways to Clean Up Your Diet”?
Ah, if only. But it’s a damn good place to start.
Here’s a little “Friday Fundamental” reminder of the best principles for leading a healthy lifestyle:
- Eat whole, natural foods: cut out anything that comes in a bag, box, package or can.
- Choose unrefined over refined foods: ditch white foods, including sugar. Opt for honey or pure maple syrup as a sweetener.
- Include protein, complex carbohydrate and healthy fat at every meal.
- Ditch foods that have the dreaded fat/salt/sugar combination: they’re the ones that tend to be addictive and make portion control next to impossible. (Hint, hint: they’re usually processed so you’ve hit them in #1 anyway.)
- Eat 5-6 mini-meals per day: this prevents you from getting ravenously hungry (when we tend to make poor food choices), keeps your blood sugar levels steady, and keeps your metabolism humming along.
- Don’t drink your calories: sweet tea, energy drinks, commercially-made smoothies, soda, and yes, even coffeehouse drinks. (Gasp!)
- Exercise regularly: you knew I was gonna say that, didn’t you?!
Not one of those will surprise you, but they’re fundamental for a reason … they really work!